Maileg Hot Air Balloon ‘DIY’ As featured on Facebook & Instagram
My daughter and I had so much fun making this hot air balloon for our mice. You can find all the Maileg items we used here just add Jute or string :) Its really easy to make no gluing or sewing required. We even got a comment back from Maileg USA to say they loved it :)
Instructions in case anyone is interested in having a go
We used a Maileg Ball in Blue/rose, Happy day Garland and a rattan basket. Then just some twine.
1. Cut three long lengths of twine. Fold in half and knot to create a hanging loop. Divide the 6 strands in groups of two and plait for a long as you would like the hanging part to be.
2. Split back into 6 strings. One piece of string for each segment line on the ball.
3. Take the two opposite middle strings and wrap them around the middle of the ball tying them tightly at the middle underside of the ball.
4. Take the remaining 4 strings and lie them along the line of each segment, and thread them through the rattanwork on the basket in 4 evenly spaced locations. Knot loosely first and then adjust to make sure the lengths are even before tightening.
5. Take the Happy day Garland, unknot one end and remove two flags. Divide the remaining flags into groups, two per segment.
6. Knot the Garland to each of the six threads around the balloon working in a circle and allowing two flags per segment and enough slack to allow the Garland to curve a little. 7. Trim of excess threads and voila!